Search This Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

Grilled Skirt Steak

If you know me at all, you know I like spicy. Spicy this, spicy that, you name it, I want it. And if isn't spicy, I'll probably pull some hot sauce out of my bag and make it that way. Yes, I have hot sauce in my purse. And 3 bottles in my drawer at work. I can't get enough.

Most skirt steak recipes are with served with chimicurri sauce or either cooked for fajitas. I didn't want either of those, but I had this beautiful piece of meat that was calling my name. Skirt steak is one of my favorite cuts - the flavor is so much better than a lot of others and because I prefer my meat cooked rare, it's a perfect cut for me.

This recipe is super simple, easy and has a lot of flavor.

Once again, I forgot to take the recipe shot but it's all simple ingredients:
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 cloves mashed garlic
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 lbs beef skirt steak, cut in 6-inch pieces
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper kosher salt to taste

First step is making the marinade. In a large mixing bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients and whisk together thoroughly.



Now take the skirt steak and cut into 6" pieces. Mmmmm....beef. This is obviously not cut yet.



Add the skirt steak, and toss in the marinade until all the pieces are coated evenly. I only had a little over a pound of beef, but I didn't change the marinade...which is probably why it had a decent kick. Cover the bowl and let sit, at room temperature for 20 minutes.



Remove skirt steak from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Season with freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt. Cook about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare on a very hot, preheated outdoor grill, or on a grill pan indoors. It's still freezing in NY, so grill pan wins. I like my meat rare, so I think I would do more like 2 minutes on each side.



Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Remember my lesson in resting? Well, read it again if you don't. The next step is the most important with a tough cut like skirt steak: Be sure to slice against the grain for the tenderest results. Pretty, right? Blurry too. Oh, shaky hands. How I love thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment