Search This Blog

Monday, March 15, 2010

Irish Stew

Well, it's obvious why I chose this, right? Today it St. Patty's Day, otherwise known as Green Beer Day. I remember going to the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Jackson when I was little and wanting some of Daddy's "green drink" so bad. Knowing him, he probably gave me a sip when my mom looked the other way! I can't really figure out what makes this stew Irish besides potatoes, but hey, what Papaw says goes.


Ingredients: (full recipe):
5 lbs. roast, cut into bite size cubes (I used beef already cut for stew and diced a bit more)
1 qt. water, in container
1 large onion, chopped
salt, pepper, garlic powder
2 1 lb. can tomatoes
2 cans tomato paste
5-7 potatoes


Cook first ingredients on high until boiling. This picture looks, well, brown.

Add the tomatoes and paste. Cook on low for 2 hours. You may have to add more water.



While cooking, peel and dice the potatoes. To prevent them from browning, keep covered in cold water until you add to the stew.




After 2 hours is up, add the potatoes and cook for 30 more minutes or until the potatoes are tender.


And serve.


Ok, I am not gonna lie. At the end of the day, this is a very basic stew. It's a bit bland for my taste buds, so I decided to doctor things up a bit. I took a pic of what I added below, but you can add whatever you like. Once I added these things, it definitely didn't taste more Irish, but it definitely added a bit more depth. If I were going to make this again, I would try adding Guinness and some red wine to give more flavor. Now, you just relax and treat yourself to some yummy Irish whiskey. You deserve it. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment