Search This Blog

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Roasted Eye of Round

Eye of round was on sale today at the grocery, so I decided to pick one up for dinner. I have never made it before but I found a simple recipe online that looked easy enough. It turned out to be a bit more medium than the usual rare I prefer, but that's my fault for cooking it a bit too long. Don't worry - I wouldn't have posted it if it wasn't worth it - definitely a tasty EASY meal that I would make again. Use the leftovers for a french dip sandwich the next day...if there are any!

Ingredients:
Roast:
1 eye of round beef roast
salt
pepper
garlic powder
onion powder

Gravy:
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ketchup
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Place eye of round beef roast in roaster or pan uncovered. Season heavily with salt, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper.


Roast in oven for 20 minutes. Turn off heat. Do not open oven door or the heat will be lost.

Allow the roast to sit in the oven for 20 minutes per pound. A lot of the reviews for the recipe suggested letting it sit 1.5 hours even if it was on the smaller side. This was a mistake on my part. I don't like brown meat. I like red meat. Very very bloody red meat. But hey, beginner here with roast - I'll get it next time! But take this as my warning. I would stick with the 20 min rule if you like a more pink roast.


Gravy:
When roast is done, remove from the pan and make a gravy with the juices by adding gravy ingredients from above. Stir ingredients right in the pan the roast was cooked in (on top of the stove), scraping up the flavorful bits from the pan. Cook over low heat until thickened, adjusting seasonings to taste. A teaspoon of beef bouillon may be added for extra flavor if needed. If the roast didn't have much in the way of drippings, add a tablespoon of butter to the gravy.


Next, just slice and serve with the delicious gravy. Don't be upset by the lack of color on my plate below. It's not pretty, I know, but it's summer - and I have decided I need to eat fresh sweet corn with as many meals as possible.















No comments:

Post a Comment