Search This Blog

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Martha Williams' Creole Catfish

Martha Williams is a close friend of the family and an excellent cook. Our old house was right around the corner from hers, and I grew up sitting in front of her and her husband, Mr. E.D., in church every week. My dad grew up with all of her sons, so we spent time with the entire Williams clan whenever we could. My fantastic friend, Katy Simmons, shipped some famous Simmons catfish to me for my birthday, and I wanted to try out Mrs. Martha's recipe. It was very light, yet flavorful, and super easy to make. I served it with collard greens and squash casserole - a true Southern feast. The only thing I changed was that I added a bit of Tony Chachere's to the fish to add a little kick - delicious!

Ingredients:
2 lbs. catfish filets
1 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1 1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 T. salad oil
2 t. salt
2 t. chopped onions
1 t. fresh basil leaves
1/4 t. black pepper
4 drops Tabasco hot pepper sauce


Place fish in a greased baking dish. Combine all ingredients and pour over fish. Bake at 500 about 8-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment