Search This Blog

Monday, December 14, 2009

Chicken Rotel - for an army apparently!

I decided for the first post that I should go with something familiar, one of my mom's recipes. I am sure everyone's mom makes this, and although not the most attractive, modern or healthy dish, it sure is good!


First , the ingredients:

2 large chicken or 8 breasts

2 large chopped green bell peppers

2 large chopped onions

1 pound box velveeta cheese

1 stick margarine

1 7-ounce bag vermicelli

1 can rotel tomatoes

2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce

1 can tiny english peas

I added in some mushrooms too because I had them, and well, I like them. Also, I had frozen diced green bell peppers because I got a ton of them on sale in Chinatown and have to take advantage! I used about 6 large chicken breasts and thought it was too much chicken - I would choose smaller ones next time. Also, I used the entire package of vermicelli....I am not one to mess with Sally's recipe, but I would suggest using the entire package as well. It didn't seem too heavy on the pasta.

Ok, so here is how it's done.

Chop those onions and peppers....mmm, onions......




Next, boil chicken breasts until done....about 20 minutes. Jan loathes the smell of boiled chicken. I wish I could bottle it and give it to her for Christmas--- Once a bratty little sister, always a bratty little sister!




When it's done, remove the chicken but save 1.5 quarts of that broth, missy. Shred chicken into bite size pieces. I usually just stab with a knife and shred with a fork, but do you own thing.


Set that chicken aside. Using the broth I mentioned earlier, boil the vermicelli, using the directions on the package.



While that is cooking, melt a stick of margarine. Saute the onions and peppers in until tender. I don't have a picture of the sauteed mix - use your imagination people.



Don't drain the vermicelli when done. Add the Rotel tomatoes, mashed, and Worcestershire, and cook for 5 minutes. Add drained peas, onions, and pepper. (and mushrooms if you want) Next, add cheese, cut in chunks and stir until cheese is melted. Add cut up chicken and stir thoroughly.




Place into a baking dish and cook 45 minutes at 350. And here is the final product! Like I said, not so pretty....but so tasty. And why didn't I half this recipe??? I live alone! Welcome to Leftover City, baby. I guess they are family recipes for a reason - to feed a FAMILY.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I am honored that my recipe was the first recipe on your blog. The cookbook is awesome and will be enjoyed by all for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete