Search This Blog

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Scalloped Potato Grain

I saw this recipe online the other day and want to cook it for Christmas Eve. However, I believe in the rule of never trying a new recipe out at dinner parties. I learned this from experience of course. This dish is very simple, easy to make, and turned out to be delicious! It's definitely going on the menu next week. Ok, ingredients, you're up.
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Butter
2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for broiling (serves 4-6)

First, preheat the oven to 375.

Then, chop up those 2 cloves of garlic.
Next, peel the potatoes. I have a serious crush on my peeler. It has great memories and always puts a smile on my face when I see it. I know what you're thinking; Lisa has officially lost it. She's in love with her peeler? Well, the lovely Mr. Joseph Ades sold me this peeler. If you've been to visit me in New York, you probably need no introduction to "Peeler Guy." But for everyone else, you've never seen such a sales pitch. Unfortunately, he passed away this February, but thanks to the internet, you can see him in action still. Take the time to view his obituary article, as well as this video. It's a fascinating story.
Kodak made me spend a lot of money with them this year "or else" they were going to delete my pictures....so guess what I purchased? A Peeler Guy Beer Mug - I can't think of a more appropriate time for a cold one! CHEERS!!!!!
Ok, back to cooking. So now you need to slice the potatoes....if you don't have one already, invest in a mandolin now. I just have the simple hand held one by OXO. Doesn't take up too much space and works great. Slice, slice, slice away!
In a saucepan, heat up the cream with a sprig of thyme, chopped garlic and nutmeg.
While that is heating up, butter a casserole dish. I was taking this dish to a friend's apartment, so I went with a disposable one. Then layer the potatoes in an overlapping pattern.
Add some salt and pepper on top. Can you tell I LOVE pepper???
Then add some of the cream mix.
Then top with a handful of Parmesan.
Make 2 more layers. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Sprinkle some more Parmesan and broil until cheese browns, about 5 minutes.

Served along with a filet and broccoli, compliments of the Gomez's. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment