Search This Blog

Monday, March 21, 2011

Aunt Deane's Macaroni & Cheese

No, this doesn't involve a blue box. Or that weird boxed cheese that doesn't need to be refrigerated. This is the real deal.....and definitely worth the few extra steps. Aunt Deane submitted this recipe for the Burnett cookbook, and I just got around to trying it tonight. Many of the recipes from the cookbook are a bit hard for me to try as a party of one, but I was able to use this adorable tiny Le Creuset cocotte for this and divide the recipe by 1/3. It''s a good thing I didn't make the entire thing...I might have eaten it all. It was delicious, and I even have leftovers for tomorrow! Feel free to get creative here - Try different cheeses or add in some additional ingredients. I had some jalapenos and bacon around, so I added that in as well. I followed the cooking instructions exactly as written and wouldn't change a thing. I will definitely be making this again. That Aunt Deane knows her stuff; All those years in home ec really paid off!

Ingredients:
1 cup elbow macaroni (I used little shells because that is what I had)
1 1/2 T. margarine
1 cup soft bread crumbs (I used panko - delicious)
2 T. margarine
1 1/2 T. flour
1/8 t. mustard
1 t. salt
1 1/2 cup milk
1/3 lb. sharp or medium Cracker Barrel Cheese
1 T. grated onion (I diced mine - I wanted to taste)

Cook macaroni in boiling, salted water until tender or about 9 minutes. Melt 1 1/2 T. margarine in a saucepan. Add crumbs and toss. Remove to bowl or waxed paper and save for topping. Melt 2 T. margarine in same saucepan. Add onion and cook lightly Add flour and blend until smooth. Add milk, mustard and salt. Stir and cook until it thickens. Remove from heat. Grate all the cheese and add half to the sauce. Reserve remainder for topping. Stir occassionally until cheese is melted. Drain macaroni and add to sauce. Pour mixture into a greased 2 quart casserole. Top with grated cheese and then buttered bread crumbs.
Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until slightly firm and nicely browned. If the casserole is refrigerated before baking, increase milk to 1 3/4 cup and bake for 45 minutes.

Serves 4-5 as a main dish.

Look how cute this dish is!

Interior Shot

No comments:

Post a Comment